- 4 SA Free Range Organic lamb shanks
- 1 cup of South Australian wholegrain Freekeh
- 450g of Pangkarra retorted chickpeas
- 2 tbsp of Illalangi Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 bunch of fresh coriander, 1 handful parsley, chopped.
- 1 jar of Illalangi Pasta Sauce
- 1.5 litres water (750ml for casserole)
- 4 medium carrots, cubed
- 3-5 stalks of celery
- 5 wedges of Illalangi Preserved Lemons or limes, or combination of both finely diced.
- 1.5-2 Tbsp of G-Fresh Moroccan Spice
- 4 cloves of crushed garlic
- Salt and pepper to season
1. Brown shanks with onion, Moroccan spices and garlic in olive oil in pan (or slow cooker if it has this function).
2. Add pasta sauce and water, carrots and celery, preserved lemons and limes, wholegrain freekeh to the slow cooker.
3. Set cooker for slow cook for 5-6 hours.
4. Towards end of cooking time, add cooked chickpeas, fresh parsley & coriander and remove shanks, discard bones and shred meat and return to slow cooker to cook for a further 10 to 15 minutes.
* If you wish you can reduce the liquid, leave in the full shanks and serve as a one pot casserole.