1. Sauté the garlic and shallots with a drizzle of olive oil in a large frypan with high sides on medium heat. Sauté until the shallots become transparent.
2. Add the sliced mushrooms and stir. Once the mushrooms are partially cooked (5 minutes) add the red wine and allow to simmer for 5 minutes or until the liquid has reduced by half.
3. Add the tomato paste, dried oregano, fresh thyme and stir through for a couple of minutes.
4. Follow by adding the passata and a good pinch of sea salt. Allow to simmer for 15-18 minutes so the flavours develop, and the sauce thickens.
5. While the sauce is cooking, boil salted water in a large pot. Add the dried pasta and follow the pack instructions for cooking time.
6. Once the pasta is al dente, drain in a colander, reserving 2 tbsp of the pasta water.
7. Add the pasta to the saucepan and gently stir to coat through the sauce. If the pasta sauce is too thick, add the reserved pasta water and stir through.
8. Serve by dividing the pasta between 4 large pasta bowls, and top with shaved parmesan cheese and freshly cracked pepper.
Credit to Australian Mushrooms