- 1 cup (160g) spelt flour
- 1/2 cup (45g) rolled oats
- 1/2 cup (110g) cooked quinoa
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon red chilli flakes
- 1 teaspoon Murray River Salt
- 1 tablespoon Illalangi Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 large leek, thinly sliced and chopped (white only)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 spring onions, thinly sliced (green only)
- 2 (60g) large handfuls baby spinach leaves, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and grated
- 1/2 cup (125ml) Illalangi Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 eggs, lightly whisked
- 1/4 cup (60ml) milk of choice
- 3 teaspoons wholegrain mustard
- pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
1. Pre-heat oven to 200°C (180°C fan-forced). Grease the holes of a 12-hole muffin pan with butter or line them with paper cases.
2. Add spelt flour, rolled oats, cooked quinoa, baking powder, thyme, paprika, turmeric, chilli and salt to a large bowl.
3. Heat a tablespoon of oil in a medium frying pan on medium. Add leek and garlic. Sauté for a few minutes until caramelized. Add spring onion. Cook for 1-2 minutes until glazed. Add spinach and cook for a further minute until spinach is wilted. Remove from heat and cool slightly.
4. Add cooked greens to the bowl of the flour mix.
5. Add carrot, oil, eggs, milk and mustard. Mix well using a wooden spoon until just combined.
6. Spoon muffin batter into the prepared muffin holes until each is two thirds full. Sprinkle muffins with pumpkin seeds.
7.Bake in the pre-heated oven for 30-35 minutes until golden on top. Remove from oven. Enjoy warm or store in the fridge for up to 3 days and in the freezer for up to 2 weeks.
Credit to Cook Republic