Serves 4 with steamed rice or noodles and stir-fried or steamed greens.
- 2 medium eggplant
- 2 tbsp Illalangi olive oil
- Salt & Black pepper
- 3 tbsp Umami Pantry white or red miso
- 3 tbs honey or maple syrup
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 shallots (spring onion)
- 2 tbsp white sesame seeds, toasted
1. Preheat your oven to 200C and line a baking tray with baking paper.
2. Cut the eggplant in half lengthways and cut or score the flesh, 2 cuts lengthways, 4 cuts widthways and place them on the baking tray, cut side up.
3. Brush or rub the oil evenly over the cut side of the eggplants and season well with salt and pepper.
4. Roast in the preheated oven for 15 minutes or until the eggplant are golden and soft.
5. While the eggplants are cooking, mix together the miso, honey, sesame oil and rice vinegar and set aside. Finely slice the shallots, white and green parts, into thin rounds and set aside.
6. Spoon the miso glaze, generously, over the eggplants and into the flesh. Turn the oven grill setting on or the oven up to 220C and return the eggplants to the oven, cooking until the glaze has caramelised, about 3-5 minutes.
7. Serve the eggplants scattered with the sliced shallots, sesame seeds and serve with lemon.